News

Farmer’s lung

farmer's lung

Farmer’s lung is a serious respiratory condition also known as hypersensitivity pneumonitis. It affects people whose immune system is sensitive to fungal spores inhaled from:

  • Mouldy hay
  • Straw
  • Grain
  • Compost

Farmer’s lung is different from farmer’s fever (ODTS – Organic Dust Toxic Syndrome) because it involves an allergic immune response that leads to inflammation and permanent tissue damage.

Symptoms
The symptoms of farmer’s lung can last from 12 hours to 10 days. Symptoms include:

  • Chills
  • Fever
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath
  • Tight feeling in the chest
  • Tiredness

For those farmers who are sensitive, repeated exposure to the allergic trigger can lead to more severe symptoms such as chronic cough with phlegm containing pus, shortness of breath, loss of appetite and weight loss. Lung scarring can occur in the later stages of the disease which greatly impacts respiratory health.

Farmer’s lung can be prevented by ensuring organic materials are kept dry and stored properly. Keep storage areas well ventilated and wear appropriate Australian Standard respiratory masks which seal the face properly. This action will minimise the risk of inhaling the allergic trigger and prevent the condition developing or progressing.

References used for this topic page

More information:
American Lung Association
Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety
Cedars-Sinai (US)
University of California
Research & reviews:
European Respiratory Journal
Radio graphics

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis: a historical, clinical and radiological review

Fast facts:

Farmer’s lung

  • Farmer’s lung is caused by inhaling fungal spores from mouldy hay, grains and compost.
  • Farmer’s lung can be stopped if it is identified early. So tell your doctor about any symptoms like breathing problems, chills and fevers.
  • Keep hay, grains and other organic materials dry as fungal spores can only grow in moist conditions.

Last updated: 1st December, 2016