Sheep and shearing
Sheep and shearing can create many hazards for farm workers. Careful planning of working areas, safe work practices and good training can avoid many mishaps.
Design yards, sheds and races carefully to avoid accidents:
- Ensure smooth stock flow into the sheds to reduce the risk of crushing and collisions with animals.
- Minimise the amount of lifting needed.
- Use non-slip surfaces to avoid falls and slips in yards.
- Make sure safety cut off switches are installed and working on shearing plant and wool presses.
- Have guards fitted on shearing gear, wool presses and grinders.
- Consider using lift or slide swing gates.
When shearing, keep animals close to your body and when you need to lift them, use your thigh muscles.
Consider using sedatives when shearing prime lamb or cross bred sires – speak to your vet.