Poisoning can occur when a person ingests inhales or has skin contact with household, agricultural chemicals or gas. Not only are farmers and agricultural workers at risk but also children or children visiting farms. Poisoning to stock, (sheep, cattle) and domestic pets, can occur when exposed to waste such as used broken vehicle batteries, chemical containers, and general rubbish.
Reduce the risk of accidental poisoning by:
- Reading the instructions carefully on use and safety precautions before using chemicals
- Keep a written register of the chemical and hazardous substances on the farm
- Wear appropriate levels of personal protective equipment when using chemicals and make sure areas are ventilated
- Lock chemicals and used chemical containers in appropriate storage facilities and out of reach of children, stock and pets
- Dispose of waste such as vehicle/truck batteries, or sump oils at local recycling station
- Dispose of agricultural containers through drum muster centres
- Used chemical or expired chemicals can go through Chem Clear http://www.chemclear.com.au/ or phone 1800 008 182
If you think someone has been poisoned, or has an unexplained illness, do not wait for further symptoms to develop.
Ring the National Poisons Information Centre on
13 11 26 immediately.
This is a 24 hour, 7 days a week service.
Do not try to make the person vomit, it may cause more injuries. Always ring triple zero in an emergency.