“Participating in an AgriSafe™ clinic has made me a lot more conscious of safety when handling chemicals and wearing PPE [personal protective equipment].” Sheep, beef & cropping farmer Lake Bolac
“We found your care and informative information very relaxed and easy to understand, and would not hesitate to recommend to any of our friends to register and complete the clinic.” Sheep & beef farmer Coleraine
Interested in participating?
Please complete the registration form below to express your interest and the program coordinator will be in contact with you to complete the registration process.
Who is the National Centre for Farmer Health?
The National Centre for Farmer Health is a partnership between Western District Health Service and Deakin University. The Centre provides farming communities with 5 key services:
- Professional Training and Education
- Applied Research and Development
- Sustainable Farm Families™ program
- On line services and tools directly helping farmers, their families and agricultural communities live healthier lives.
- AgriSafe™ program
What is AgriSafe™?
- AgriSafe™ is an innovative comprehensive health, wellbeing and safety program designed specifically for individuals working in the agricultural industry.
- The program is coordinated by the National Centre for Farmer Health and the service is delivered in partnership between NCFH and select GP practices – nationally.
- AgriSafe™ clinicians conducting the assessments are health professionals who have completed post graduate study in agricultural health and medicine are trained to assess the health, wellbeing and safety concerns of farmers and agricultural workers.
Why should I attend an AgriSafe™ Clinic?
- Agriculture remains a leading hazardous industry to work within and an industry vulnerable to extreme climatic events. Serious illnesses, injuries, fatalities and income loss not only have a negative impact on individuals – but also on families, the productivity of farms, agricultural businesses, and local communities.
- In addressing health, wellbeing and safety concerns for individuals in our agriculture, the NCFH are collaborating with GP practices to offer farmers and agricultural workers the opportunity to participate in an AgriSafe™ clinic.
How does the AgriSafe™ Clinic work?
- AgriSafe™ clinics are delivered in collaboration with a GP practice creating a “one stop shop” for farmer health.
- The AgriSafe™ clinics include a 2 step consultation – first with an AgriSafe clinician – followed by consultation with a GP.
How long does the AgriSafe™ clinic take?
- The consultation with the AgriSafe™ clinician will take approx. 60 minutes followed by a 15 minute consultation with the GP.
Is there any preparation for the AgriSafe™ Clinic?
- You will be asked to complete a short occupational health history survey to assist the AgriSafe™ clinician with identifying potential health assessment needs.
- You will not be expected to fast for the consultation.
What does an AgriSafe™ Clinic provide?
- Blood glucose and diabetes risk
- Cholesterol and cardiovascular event risk
- Blood pressure
- Body composition including body mass index and body fat %
- Urine analysis
- Respiratory health with fit testing of a P2 dust mask or respirator
- Skin health
- Musculoskeletal health
- Cancer risk screening
- Social and emotional wellbeing
- Occupational safety hazards and risks
What will you need to bring?
- Nothing – just yourself
What are the charges associated with the AgriSafe™ Clinic?
- An AgriSafe™ Clinic is free to all participants on the day – however any follow up consultations/treatments thereafter will be in accordance with the practice billing policy.
What happens after the AgriSafe™ Clinic?
- Post clinics, all participants will receive health coaching via electronic links to education topics on health, wellbeing and safety. Whilst not compulsory to act upon any recommendations, the information provided has been tailored to address identified concerns as part of the consultation process.
Will my normal GP have access to my AgriSafe™ Clinic findings?
- With your consent any information rising from the AgriSafe™ clinic will be shared with your GP of choice.
If you have any queries please contact:
Tel (03) 5551 8533
Fax (03) 5551 8267
You will be able to buy approved safety products from the Farmer Health Safety Shop.