Prep time: 1/2 hour
Cook time: 14 hours
- 1/2 cup iodized salt
- 2.25 litres water
- 1.5 kilograms pickling onions
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon mixed peppercorns (yummy pink and green)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 6 bay leaves crushed
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 small deseeded chillies (add extra for spicy pickled onions)
- In a mixing bowl dissolve 1/4 cup of sea salt in 1.15litres of water.
- Add onions and submerge for 8 - 12 hours.
- Drain and peel the onions and return to the bowl - make new brine with salt and water.
- In a saucepan bring vinegar and water to boil.
- Cool, drain and rinse onions twice.
- Mix all picking spices together and 1/2 fill preserving jars with onions.
- Divide 1/2 the spices on top of the onions.
- Fill jars to top with remaining onions and place remaining spices on top.
- Fill each jar of onions with the cooled, sweetened vinegar, ensuring that onions are completely covered.
- Cover the jar with a cap.
- Refrigerate jars for 1 month prior to eating.
Recipe contributed by: